What’s the difference? Dry Skin is a skin type where as dehydrated skin can occur in anyone and in any skin type at any stage in your life.
What causes dehydrated skin?
- Dehydrated skin can be caused my many factors including the weather. We assume that the cold winter months and heating causes dehydrated skin however, if the sun’s UVA rays damage our skin it can cause premature ageing, increase oxidants and cause major dehydration and be just as dehydrating as the cold months!
- Hot showers and hard water can cause dehydration to the skin. Stick to warm shorter showers.
- Natural Ageing will dehydrate the skin therefore, it’s important to get the right skincare for you which will help increase cell turn over and keep your skin plump and hydrated.
- Lack of sleep can cause dehydration
- Using your skincare the wrong way. Over exfoliation and products too harsh for your skin can cause irritation and dehydration.
- Most importantly, lack of water! Give your skin a drink!
Both dry and dehydrated skin can feel flaky, itchy, sensitive, tight and can look dull however, in order treat your skin accordingly you will need to determine whether your skin is dehydrated or dry.
- Lacks Lipids and Oil
- the ‘dry’ feeling can occur all over including body and scalp
- Probably your skin type since birth and doesn’t develop over time
- Can be more susceptible for premature ageing
- Constantly need moisture
- Needs oil rich products
- Lacks Water
- skin can feel both dry and oily
- Can be experienced by anyone and any skin type
- Can cause breakouts
- Can come go depending of different factors
- Needs water rich products
Dry Skin; The latest scientific insights reveal that healthy skin starts with the right balance of a strong lipid barrier, hydration, and an optimal microbiome (aka microbial environment). If any of these factors are imbalanced, the skin will look and feel compromised.
The Skins Lipid Barrier acts as a strong wall to keep moisture in and irritants out. Lipid Rich products will help to restore the barrier and defend against dryness and prevent moisture loss. Enter NEW Intensive Moisture Balance. New ultra-nourishing moisturiser from Dermalogica that restores lipid balance to dry, depleted skin for optimal barrier performance. This mosituriser will also help to prevent free radical damage, reduce the appearance of fine lines.
Dehydrated Skin; Dehydrated can go into overdrive when trying to restore and protect itself resulting in tightness, oiliness and breakouts. Water Rich products help rehydrate and balance the skin. Enter NEW Skin Smoothing Cream. This moisturiser will provide 48 hours of hydration and distributes hydration throughout the skin to lock in moisture.
Featuring a state-of-the-art complex that infuses skin with moisture and works on a molecular level to help reduce Trans-Epidermal Water Loss and shield skins natural microbiome from environmental stress.