Stress and feeling under pressure are a normal part of daily life and something we all experience however, it is easy to become overwhelmed with it and it can soon start to bring us down. 85% of UK adults are experiencing stress regularly. The most common cause of stress is money worries, followed by work, health concerns, failure to get enough sleep, and household chores. Becoming overwhelmed by stress can lead to mental health problems, feelings of anxiety, depression and loneliness, physical health problems or make existing problems worse.
Easy ways to reduce stress;
- Find an activity you enjoy doing and it can have many positive effects on your mental health. Exercise lowers the stress hormone, can improve your quality and sleep and make you feel more confident improving your mental health.
- Essential Oils. Can be found in various forms including candles, oil form, beauty products and they can have very soothing effects on the body and mind. If you are someone who travels a lot then familiar scents can help you feel at ease when you are away from ‘normal’. take your favourites with you. Here are some of our favourites – Elemis Calm Soothing Candle, Elemis Calm and Fortitude Wellbeing Duo, Ren Skincare Atlantic Kelp and Magnesium Salt Anti Fatigue Exfoliating Body Scrub and Dermalogica Sound Sleep Cocoon. All these products contain essential oils that are designed to improve your wellbeing.
- Reduce your caffeine intake. High doses can increase anxiety
- Write down what’s bothering you, everyone loves a list!
- Spend time with family and friends. Social support is vital and having a good laugh is proven to reduce stress
- Learn to say ‘no’ more and doing more things to please yourself. This is something we are all guilty of.
- Cuddle! Who doesn’t love a cuddle? Positive physical contact can help release oxytocin and lower cortisol. This can help lower blood pressure and heart rate, both of which are physical symptoms of stress.
- Spending time with animals/ your pet. Pets can release oxytocin, keep you active, provide companionship and give you a purpose – all qualities that can help you to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Deep breaths. “take a deep breath” – we have all been told these numerous times however, it really does work.
- Take some time to do something for yourself. Try a new hobby, go and watch a film you have been meaning to see for 6 months, take a nap, go shopping. Do something that will make you happy.
Any of these tips can be applied to every day life and there is bound to be one that works better for you. Give it a try and don’t forget to talk to someone about how you are feeling, it helps!