We were told that we should be using a toner in our skincare routine, but why? What is it doing for our skin? Do should we be using them? What one do we need? Are they making a difference to our skin? When in our routine should they be applied? We are here to answer your questions!
The answer is YES. We do need toners. Once you have found the right one for your skin to target your skin concern that it will change your skincare routine and the state of your skin.
Where in your routine does a toner fit? A toner should be applied after double cleansing before any serums and moisturisers. Toners can be applied on to some sort of cotton pad/ ball and swept over the face, spritzed on or patted into the skin gently with hands. TIP; Don’t dry your face after cleansing and apply the toner on to damp clean skin for extra hydration!
Toner formulas; Most toners are water-based liquids. Depending on your chosen toner, they are tailored to address a variety of different skin types. Composed with a lot of natural ingredients to give your skin the benefits and care it needs. A few common ingredients are; rose/ rose petal, chamomile, aloe Vera, Lavender and essential oils.
Traditionally, toners were used to restore your skin’s pH balance after cleansing, typically for those with oily skin. They moved to be an additional step in your cleansing routine, to remove any leftover oils/ make up and even residue from your cleanser (which they are still used for). But today’s toners do that and so much more!
Toners can also help with the following skincare concerns;
- To shrink pores.
- Add instant hydration back into the skin.
- Balance the skins PH.
- To soothe sensitive/ inflamed skin.
- Can shield skin from pollution and free radicals providing an additional barrier
- To refresh skin and make up throughout the day and adding a hit of hydration.
- Add a glow back to your skin
Here are a few that we love, find the one for your skin type/ concern;
- Medik8 Pore Minimising Tonic – This purifying post-cleanse solution works to keep pores clear and minimised over time.
- Elemis Rehydrating Ginseng Toner – Revitalise with and nourish your skin deep down, whilst removing any last traces of cleanser.
- Elemis Balancing Lavender Toner – Removes all traces of cleanser whilst maintain the natural pH balance. Perfect for combination skin.
- Dermalogica UltraCalming Redness Relief Essence – Lightweight like a toner but concentrated like a serum. This refreshing formula visibly reduces redness and helps reduce sensitivity.
- Dermalogica AGE Smart Antioxidant Hydramist – A refreshing antioxidant shield with flash-firming properties to improve skin texture, fight damaging free radicals and intensely hydrate alipoid, dehydrated skin.
- Dermalogica Multi Active Toner – An ultra-light facial spritz that refreshes and hydrates the skin while smoothing the surface. Helps condition skin to prepare for proper moisture absorption.
- Decleor Aurabsolu Refreshing Mist – Providing an instant moisture boost to skin in need of support, this refreshing tonic specially created to refresh skin, can be used after cleansing, to set make-up or whenever skin needs an invigorating burst of hydration.
If you feel your skincare routine could do with a boost and you are looking to amp up hydration levels, add a refreshing step and target some skincare concerns more directly then a toner is for you! at worst, your toner is going to make sure your skin is thoroughly cleansed before you apply the rest of your skincare however, the benefits a toner can bring to your skin is amazing! Get shopping and find your perfect match – https://www.beautyflash.co.uk/cat-face-and-body/toners.html