Fed up of flat, lacklustre, limp and sad looking hair? Don’t worry we are here to help! Trying to volumize hair and bring back some life is a question on the lips of A LOT of people. Any hair type and any style can lack volume and body!
Thin and fine hair can easily become flat more than any other hair types. Limp and flat hair probably means your hair is fine – not to be confused with thin hair, in fact you probably have more hair than average, but each strand is finer than ‘normal’. Fine hair = more hair as each strand takes up less room on your head meaning space for more hair. As each hair strand has their own oil gland, the more hair the more oil you produce making your hair greasier and flatter than normal. Or it could be genes and you are just born with naturally thin and flat hair.
Here are a few tips and tricks to bring the volume back!
- It may sound obvious but a haircut. The longer the hair the more is weighs! To stop it from dragging down cut a few inches off and see it bounce back to life!
- If you don’t want to commit to losing your locks just yet, try switching up your parting a bit more frequently. If you constantly have the same parting your hair will get used to it and settle. The more it lays flat in 1 place the flatter it will be. Keep it moving!
- Find your shampoo/ conditioning routine that works for you. There is no 1 way to do this that works for everyone. Find your balance that your hair likes. We would advise not to over wash but if the standard shampoo then conditioner twice a week isn’t working for you – change it! There is nothing to say that it the right way to do it. Try conditioning first. Conditioner is heavier than shampoo and can leave residue on the hair so by following with shampoo it will ensure that it is washed out thoroughly. Your hair won’t be so weighed down and will look more voluminous.
- Try blow drying your hair upside down. Carry out your normal shampoo and conditioner routine whatever that may be for you. Apply a volumizer like the Alterna Bamboo Volume 48 Hour Sustainable Volume Spray then whilst your hair is damp, flip it over and get drying. Pay extra attention to your roots. When your hair is dry, flip back and style as normal! Try an Air Diffuser too, a guaranteed volume creator! We love the GHD Air Diffuser!
- Use volumizing products. Obviously. So many people use the wrong shampoo and conditioner for their hair type. There are so many products out there, so it can be a bit over whelming however, anything that says, volume, thickening or body is going to be a hit. Don’t however, overload your hair with too many products, again this will only drag it down and make it heavy!
Here are some products we love and would recommend to give it the volume it needs;
Kerastase Duo Resistance Bain and Gelee Volumifique. A conditioner and shampoo duo that helps fine hair to create a feather-light volume.
Loreal Professionnel Tecni Art Volume Architect. A favourite. Fortifies fine and delicate hair whilst protecting from the heat of blow drying to leave hair soft and natural to the touch.
Pureology Clean Volume Instant Levitation Mist. The Clean Volume System delivers body-boosting formulas that weightlessly elevate strands for a light, airy, full-bodied finish and extraordinary colour protection.
Paul Mitchell Thicken Up. Makes thin strands look and feel thicker without a heavy product feel.
Moroccan Oil Volumising Mousse. Its weightless formula creates natural styles with lift and movement, without leaving residue.
• Full Body
• Flexible Hold
• Weightless, non-sticky residue